The following checklist may help to give you a general idea of the quality of care provided in a Rehab or Skilled Nursing Facility. Use this list while visiting or during a phone conversation when screening a facility.
- What is the admission process?
- What days are admissions accepted?
- What are visiting hours?
- What ages are allowed for visitors?
- Are pets allowed to visit?
- Are beauty and barber services available?
- Does my insurance have a preferred Rehab provider that I must use to qualify?
- 7What is the cost and will my insurance company cover all or part of my cost?
- What is the therapy schedule?
- What type of patient and family education support is available?
- What type of equipment is provided at the facility?
- What type of discharge planning and assistance is available
- Are the rooms homelike, clean, cheerful, and bright?
- Are private rooms available?
- Is the temperature of the room comfortable?
- Does each resident have his or her own window?
- Is access to cable television/Wi-Fi provided?
- Is each room equipped with a telephone?
- Are there extra fees for these services?
Hallway and Lounge Areas
- Is the facility well maintained, clean, well-lit, and free of unpleasant odors?
- Are there sufficient and quiet areas where residents can visit with family and friends?
- Does the facility have a smoking policy?
- Is there an outside area for residents to use?
- Are activities offered?
- Are leisure materials accessible to residents?
- Is access to computer/internet available?
- Are personal religious needs met if desired?
Menu and Dining
- Is a consultation with a nutritionist available?
- Are the dining areas pleasant and clean?
- Are residents encouraged to eat in the dining rooms?
- Can resident’s family dine with a resident?
- Are alternative menu options available?
- Are nutritious snacks available upon request?